Sunday, March 20, 2011

Remembering little Knut!

I found out on Saturday that Knut, the once little polar bear in the Berlin Zoo who became famous when his mommy abandoned him, died in his enclosure on Saturday. :(

I was living in Berlin when Knut managed to steal the spotlight of the world and I have to say, his cute little white behind waddled its way right into my heart. Although I'm not much of a zoo fan (I hate seeing animals in cages, it just feels wrong no matter what the purpose), I took everyone who visited me to the Berlin Zoo that year to see baby Knut and his replacement human mommy, Thomas Dorflein.

The first time I saw Knut was the week I moved to Berlin, when German street names when indecipherable, Berlin seemed too vast for me to ever see all of it, and the face (or sometimes tush) of a baby polar bear was on every subway TV (because yes, they have TVs on the u-bahn there that show news updates all day long). Of course I had to go see this precious little guy, especially when I found out he was equally as newsworthy even back in America! My first sighting of Knut


he was so tiny he could barely clamber over the rocks to follow his "momma"!


And was quite the slowpoke when following him even not on rocks.

The next time I saw Knut he was minimally bigger, it was a wretched, rainy day (aka a typical Berlin day), and still the crowd around Knut was huge. During a rare break from the rain, Knut napped on his "momma's" lap


while Dorflein chatted with a friend--just a typical day at the office!

The last time I visited the zoo to see baby Knut was just a month later, but he seemed so much bigger--


and more feisty than cuddly.


I'll miss you, Knut, and your cute little polar bear tush!

No comments:

Post a Comment